Pages

Wednesday 29 October 2014

Find your Master Key.

   Another post and another chapter from Steve Chandlers book "100 Ways to Motivate Yourself". I've heard and read about books that people find inspirational and have led to change in their lives. Books have that ability don't they and this one is becoming my inspirational book.
   I can dip in and out. The chapters and their message are short and to the point. The thing I like the best is how the writer isn't preaching or talking down. He appears to fall over the ideas by accident, which of course he hasn't but it keeps the book fresh and easy to read.
   Back to "Find your master key" or what fires you up. Instead of my usual, in a nutshell summing up of the chapter I'm just going to quote a quote from it. "The great master key to riches is nothing more or less than the self-discipline necessary to help you take full and complete possession of your own mind. Remember, it is profoundly significant that the only thing over which you have complete control is your own mental attitude." So said Napoleon Hill.  It doesn't immediately fire you up, does it? However it does state the obvious and the obvious, when you're not yourself, is often overlooked . I've spent an age thinking about why I can't get infused about one thing when I can lose myself happily for hours in something far less important. It's time to step back and think maybe it's not "the thing" I have a problem with but my attitude, or some aspect of it?
   In other news ...... which in a way isn't, as it ties in with the above, I was asked to do a bit of work for an old customer. I did some work for their daughter at the beginning of the year. Which went terrible slowly, I was a little surprised they asked but it was a chance to repair my reputation. So off back down to London where I was given a list of smallish jobs, which I calculated would take a couple of days. As they were away for the weekend and speed being a vital part of getting into their good books I offered to do the job then. I arrived and started, crossing the jobs off as I did them. I even had time to visit there son and repair his kitchen tap on Sunday morning. In the evening I sent a text with a list of what had been done. They're very happy and now I have another list of things they want done. Then it dawned on me, that I like being thought of as "reliable" something I haven't been for a while. Yes I'm kind, polite, funny, caring but not reliable and it's reliability I crave. Why? well it would fill a void within me. Depended on and trusted. Would signal a change. Even more importantly I would like to trust and rely on me. To do whatever needs to be done. No more, putting things off.
   Strictly speaking this isn't totally new to me. I think I've been here before but my nerve failed me. Like the time as a kid I first jumped off the high board at the pool. It took a few walks to the edge before I had enough courage to jump. It's important to remember, that I wouldn't of  jumped had it not been for those first abortive walks to the edge. So I've done the walks over the last years and months now it's time. Focus on the attitude and the rest will follow.

Onwards and upwards in the pursuit of fulfillment :-)))
 
             

No comments:

Post a Comment