Pages

Wednesday 28 February 2018

Snow and growing old.

Proper winter weather has finally come to Kent. I drove home from my daughters Monday evening along the M2. There was a light dusting of snow on the ground and the odd flurries of falling snow as I drove along. Picking my way through a mixture of people driving along at 40mph with fog lights and headlights full on while others cruised by at 80 as if it was just a normal day I got home around midnight. The town was asleep, unawares they would all wake up to snow covered streets in a few short hours. It didn't hang around and was gone by the time I went to the post office around 4pm. However this evening it's snowing again and everything, including the two palms in my front garden are covered in the white stuff.

I've been here about five years now and this is only the second time it's snowed. It feels really odd having snow in a seaside town. Rain, yes. Especially in the summer. English summers are not meant to be warm and consistent. If you holiday here in the summer you expect to be told that the week before you came was glorious and you expect to wear every bit of clothing you brought with you all at the same time. In an effort to stay warm and dry while on your holiday. You also expect to hear once back home and back at work that the wet, damp place you drove away from a few days previously is experiencing wonderfully hot sunny days again.

Back to the now though. With antiquated heating and no insulation it's been a cold winter. Hopefully the last one though. A good run of work has meant I got my taxes filed and paid on time. That's two years on the bounce. I'd like to think the people at "Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs" give out a little cheer when they hear I've manage it yet again. More importantly it means there's enough cash in my savings account to replace the roof and insulate as soon as the weather improves. I'll no longer resemble a character from a "Dickens" novel complete with woolly hat, when I go to my bed. Which itself is covered in every blanket I own or stole and all topped off with my overcoat for good measure.

Onwards, upwards and careering towards fulfillment and insulation :)))



2 comments:

  1. Two words... electric blanket.

    Also, I was starting to wonder if you dropped off the face of the earth until you commented on my blog last week.

    Nice to 'see' ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aims, lol it has been a while. I do keep up with the various blogs I follow. It's such a shame when people stop, I thought. Then realised it has been five months since I last did. Thank you for your comment :) hope you and yours are all well.

    ReplyDelete