Pages

Sunday 9 January 2011

Day 282. A full day.

It's my, weekend on call. Friday night was ok and today has been busy. I've also found time to get some of my things done too.
MissG is coming over tomorrow evening, so I've started to prepare some food. I've also made soup, curried parsnip and carrot with coriander. My cooking skills are a bit limited but improving. I'm a big fan of tasty basic dishes. Well I suppose I would be given that I've just admitted to a complete lack of any culinary skills.
We seem to have lost our way with food. You can buy most things all year round so do we know what's good for us.. I'm trying to learn what local vegetables are available and when.
I once met someone, who believed that Nature produced certain vegetables just as we need them and when we'd had enough of whatever was in them Nature would give us something else. Also as vegetables come into season and are plentiful they should be cheaper. So what's good for the body should be good for the wallet too.
Well it seems only appropriate that today's star is a cook....

Delia Smith CBE (1941).

Every country has it's National Cook. Delia is ours. I guess most homes in the UK have a Delia cookbook tucked away somewhere.
Smith baked the cake depicted on the cover of the Rolling Stones album Let It Bleed.
Look her up in Wiki. She's come from very humble beginnings and there is also a phenomenon known as the "Delia Effect." If Delia says or uses something, we all go out and buy it! She's done loads.

Onwards and upwards :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment