Pages

Tuesday 18 January 2011

Day 292. Well that seemed to work nicely.

So I did what I suggested in 291 and it worked well. Need to read (left my book at home) and go through the affirmations (which do get missed more often than not) later which will complete the nine and I managed to get all my work done plus a couple of additions. So all round not a bad day. May get a ticket for stopping in a box junction. Not sure if there's a camera there, will just have to keep my fingers crossed on that one. If I'm all doom and gloom around Day 320. You'll know It has and I did.

Following on from yesterdays Star Henry Beck. I've stuck to the same theme, Maps. This time another map we Londoners take for granted. The London AtoZ, had it not been for this woman we might still be getting lost when we pop out for a copy of the Racing Post and 20 Woodbines.

Phyllis Pearsall (1906-1996)

Phyllis Pearsall was a remarkable woman. Born in 1906 she had already lived a rather bohemian life as a writer, painter and traveler when in 1935 she got lost in London while using a 20 year old street map which was at the time the most recent available. Working from a bedsit in Horseferry Road, not far from Big Ben and with the aid of James Duncan - a draughtsman borrowed from her father, a Hungarian mapmaker, she began to catalogue the 23,000 streets that featured in the first edition. Working eighteen hour days she walked a total of 3,000 miles in compiling it.

Here are a couple of links if you want to read more.

http://www.transki.co.uk/walk/atoz.htm

http://www.a-zmaps.co.uk/?nid=39

Onwards and upwards :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment